Forum > General Discussion > Politics and Religion > Jan 6 Committee Hearings

Page:

Link
A criminal mastermind he is not, good attorneys though

Coyote
Link
Originally posted by Cowpoker
A criminal mastermind he is not, good attorneys though

Isn't that most uber-rich and ultra-wealthy's deal though? I mean... it's always in the news about some deep pockets somebody trying to cheat the taxman or doing some such thing you KNOW is wrong but they don't seem to think they'll get caught... or they think "I can afford the best lawyers so they'll fix anything I screw up." Might be right sometimes but then, if ya screw up bad enough, no lawyer is gonna save ya. Just plead for mercy a bit better than the cheap lawyers do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeptFM6xpE
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Admin
Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
Isn't that most uber-rich and ultra-wealthy's deal though? I mean... it's always in the news about some deep pockets somebody trying to cheat the taxman or doing some such thing you KNOW is wrong but they don't seem to think they'll get caught... or they think "I can afford the best lawyers so they'll fix anything I screw up." Might be right sometimes but then, if ya screw up bad enough, no lawyer is gonna save ya. Just plead for mercy a bit better than the cheap lawyers do.

You mean they embezzle 10 million from employee retirements and then get slapped with a 100k dollar fine? Meanwhile stealing a 500 dollar TV gets you 5+ years in prison.

That's our justice system literally working as intended.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!

Link
Some of them are brilliant on their own, think cartels or mafia or other criminal empires or even legal empires. Always 2 chess moves ahead

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
You mean they embezzle 10 million from employee retirements and then get slapped with a 100k dollar fine? Meanwhile stealing a 500 dollar TV gets you 5+ years in prison.

Did that really happen (I ask, pretending not to already know the answer)?

Coyote
Link

This ain't news to nobody. Even locally we have a very rich guy... loves to drive his Porsche at whatever speed he feels like. Cops don't even bother to pull him over anymore. They just send the ticket to his lawyer who pays his fines and makes sure they don't take his license away. AFAIK he's never lost his license and I know he's gotten more than enough tickets to lose it on points. Welcome to America where $ buys you privilege. O.J. Simpson anyone? Occasionally you get a Cosby or a Weinstein or Stewart but even those got off for far less than any poor/middle class counterpart would have committing the exact same crimes. It's been that way since the birth of the nation, brother. What makes you think you can change any of that?
wipety-wipe-wipe

Coyote
Link
Did that really happen (I ask, pretending not to already know the answer)?

Lots of white collar crime gets minimal penalties, brother. (he answers, pretending you don't already know the answer.)
wipety-wipe-wipe

Admin
Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
What makes you think you can change any of that?

Nothing, but I hope that talking about it can at least make people admit to themselves the implications of their "law and order" stance.

Link
Nothing, but I hope that talking about it can at least make people admit to themselves the implications of their "law and order" stance.

How so?

Are you thinking that the law and order crowd is accepting of light sentences?

Link
It helps when the examples aren't fiction

Admin
Link
It helps when the examples aren't fiction

Would it? Or would you just look for reasons why they deserved to be executed in the middle of the street? What were they wearing?

Link
It's your made up story of an embezzlement and a short sentence, you tell me what you want the details to be.

Maybe the company promoted them, maybe the RNC made them their presidential nomination, use your imagination, the possibilities are almost endless.

Admin
Link
It's your made up story of an embezzlement and a short sentence, you tell me what you want the details to be.

I'm sure you can find cases of embezzlement with light sentences, it's not hard to use Google.

You're doing that thing where you want to act like it isn't a systemic issue by nitpicking every individual case, and I'm not interested in playing that game.
Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.