User Pass

Forum > General Discussion > Politics and Religion > Lol, Biden asking the oil companies to bail him out.

Page:

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
But of course, there's no incentive for them to do the right thing. The bigger problem they create, the more money we need to give them and the harder we have to beg them to fix the problem.

We get the worst of both worlds, we still have to pay money to support the industry, and the private industry is still making money off us. At least the oil barons are getting richer, so that should help us all sleep tonight.

Who is "us"? If you're driving, you pay fuel tax but that goes to the government for infrastructure, the fact that they can't manage 60 billion a year and prioritize infrastructure spending doesn't inspire confidence in allowing politicians to control our energy resources.

Link
I am a little concerned about how much money the various pension and retirement funds are invested in fossil fuel assets. 100's of billions USD's worth of workers retirements that some politicians are attempting to wipe out, on purpose.

Link
Originally posted by Vuijox
you have to understand that the president doesn't really have the power to control these things. it's insane to blame one man.

but it's great that trump lost because he was the cause of every problem in human history. as you can see, because everything is much better now.

i mean... okay, demonstrably worse, but at least we can watch men beat women at sports.

This president doesn't have the power to control much of anything.

Inflation wasn't actually happening, then it was transitory, now it's real, it's here to stay, but it's Putin's fault for disrupting all that Russian oil we usually get or all that Russian and Ukrainian merchandise we are accustomed to.

Democrats sure pick strange hills to plant their flag and die on, that's for sure.

Coyote
Link
Originally posted by Cowpoker
That's an old way of thinking. The US government is in the oil business...

Uh... no. It's the other way around. The Oil business is in the U.S. Government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeptFM6xpE
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
If that distinction is important to you, run with it.

The government pockets 60+ billion a year off of federal fuel tax

Link
That's double what Exxon's net income was in 2021.

Put it this way, the US government needs oil companies more than oil companies need the US government, in fact oil would thrive without government, government would be on life support without US oil

Admin
Link
Put it this way, the US government needs oil companies more than oil companies need the US government

Wow, looks like you've accidentally stumbled into the point.

You're basically describing an abusive relationship in which the US is subject to the demands and whims of oil companies. I'm advocating for leaving that relationship and becoming independent, you're saying "no we just have to be nicer because we are nothing without him".
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!

Link
Venezuela tried that approach.

Yes, the US government has been abusive of the industries that have built and sustained it's citizens. Spoiled entitlement does that to people

Admin
Link
Venezuela tried that approach.

Yes, and then the US destabilized the country.

Link
Yes, and then the US destabilized the country.

That's the obvious risk to state owned industry. It becomes a political weapon.

Admin
Link
That's the obvious risk to state owned industry. It becomes a political weapon.

Yeah, it's definitely not being politicized at the moment. I can't imagine someone making a thread blaming the sitting president for the cost of gas.

Link
Yeah, it's definitely not being politicized at the moment. I can't imagine someone making a thread blaming the sitting president for the cost of gas.

You understand the difference but I appreciate the attempt.

I'm assuming here because they'd likely never admit it but Obama and Biden wanted higher gas prices to make it easier to sell green energy alternatives. Obama got away with it because with fracking, 2 trillion in foreign investment in to oil and a weaker dollar, higher prices eroded quickly.

Biden already inherited inflation because of the COVID cash, fewer workers, logistics issues. He just screwed up, maybe got bad advice, killing the XL, suspending federal oil leases, he should have been pimping US oil to bring back foreign investment that already started diminishing under Trump. It was all horrible timing with Trump's mistakes, COVID and Bidens mistakes.

Link
Biden eventually did a 180 but he had already set the industry back over a year. Again, everyone around him was telling him that inflation was temporary. In the private sector, those people would be terminated. In politics, they just need to blame someone else and people want to believe them and too many do.

Link
Can you imagine the inflation if Biden had gotten Build Back spending through congress. The centrists saved the party, AGAIN.

Admin
Link
killing the XL

Which, as I have pointed out numerous times, is almost entirely exported oil. It doesn't even pump the kind of oil that we use.

You're just repeating some nonsense you heard second hand from Fox News.
Edited by Corndog on Jun 21, 2022 06:54:28
Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.