User Pass

Forum > General Discussion > Politics and Religion > Gun Battle

Page:

Link
More than four (4) times as many people died from drug overdose (OD) than from homicide in the first month of 2021.

96,779 drug overdose deaths were reported from March 2020 to March 2021.

In January 2021, drug overdose deaths exceeded homicides by 306.7%.

Motor vehicle accidents and suicides combined killed 84.5% as many as ODs.

Banning drugs looks like it's working......
This could be you advertising.

Link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

308 people died from mass shootings this year (2022) 3 of those mass shootings were at a school or university

Opioids kill more than 136 Americans every day.

The national OD death rate increased 255.74% between 2000 and 2019.

Delaware has seen the largest 3-year increase at an annual growth rate of 16.0%. (Bidens state)

https://drugabusestatistics.org/drug-overdose-deaths/
This could be you advertising.

Admin
Link
Originally posted by cyberninja
Banning drugs looks like it's working...

That's because cops don't have big enough guns.
Six inches of pure deliciousness...on a stick!

Admin
Link
But I mean, it's more of a demand issue than a supply issue. Maybe we should look at why poor people in abandoned coal towns are so prone to turning to drugs? It's not particularly surprising that areas hit the hardest by neoliberal policies are plagued by poverty and drug overdoses.

Then again, this is obviously just a thinly veiled concern troll. Acting like you care about people dying so you can defend guns in the wake of several mass shooting events.

Link
Originally posted by Corndog
But I mean, it's more of a demand issue than a supply issue. Maybe we should look at why poor people in abandoned coal towns are so prone to turning to drugs? It's not particularly surprising that areas hit the hardest by neoliberal policies are plagued by poverty and drug overdoses.

Then again, this is obviously just a thinly veiled concern troll. Acting like you care about people dying so you can defend guns in the wake of several mass shooting events.

So Biden was trolling last night when he kept giving stats on all the children dying of gun violence, when he knows those "children" he is talking about are mostly 17 and 18 year old gang bangers and drug dealers?

Link
Originally posted by Sooner_Nation
So Biden was trolling last night when he kept giving stats on all the children dying of gun violence, when he knows those "children" he is talking about are mostly 17 and 18 year old gang bangers and drug dealers?

I thought all lives matter?

Matthew 25:35-40
Originally posted by Mods
Sorry, your posting privileges have been revoked.

Fine. Be consistent with violations.

Coyote
Link
Ninja, I think you'll find this a slightly better look into what I think you're wanting to address with your OP.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/05/31/concern-about-drug-addiction-has-declined-in-u-s-even-in-areas-where-fatal-overdoses-have-risen-the-most/

Note... be sure to really read it all since it explains in detail what criteria was used and what questions are asked.

Also note that the conclusion on 'Mass Shootings' and the explanation as to why it's not separately listed. That said, it still paints similar picture to your post. As for my take on why Mass Shootings are what you hear the most about rather than the HUGE amount of suicides by gun or murders by gun? Simple. It sells. A single death due to gun doesn't nearly bring people to the TV and internet as much as a mass shooting does. People gawk at car crashes... and flock to mass shooting news. Humans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeptFM6xpE
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
That's because cops don't have big enough guns.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently there were like 500 OD deaths in SF Cali and 0 charges for dealing. Apparently, most of the dealers were illegals and the prosecutor dropped the sentence so that the dealers weren't deported.

We've tried the whole drug war, tough sentencing and it didn't seem to work and apparently not trying at all to prosecute isn't working either. Even if you're the kinder/gentler sort, the not charging also means that people aren't sentenced for treatment programs either.

I'm not holding my breathe on more education, if the general public doesn't know by now that meth and fentanyl are dangerous, another billion in radio ad's isn't going to do it either.

The story was actually from a left leaning source if I recall and talked a lot about how liberals and progressives are starting to get very critical of the refusal to prosecute or not even charging in the first place. It's sort of a turning point, kudos to those that recognize it isn't working, now just need to get conservatives to realize that putting everyone in prison for a small amount of pot won't do anything either.

Link
Originally posted by cyberninja
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

308 people died from mass shootings this year (2022) 3 of those mass shootings were at a school or university

Opioids kill more than 136 Americans every day.

The national OD death rate increased 255.74% between 2000 and 2019.

Delaware has seen the largest 3-year increase at an annual growth rate of 16.0%. (Bidens state)

https://drugabusestatistics.org/drug-overdose-deaths/

Not sure what you're point is. Mass shootings should be ignored because people die of other things?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Benjamin Franklin

Link
Originally posted by tordman
Not sure what you're point is. Mass shootings should be ignored because people die of other things?

It might have been his point, the whole team thing and all but for all the lives crushed, it sure doesn't dominate headlines as it probably should.

Maybe it's because we've been through it so much and are desensitized to it but you'd think it would be the same with mass shootings, been there and done that.

Everyone wants SOMETHING done but both problems come down to a) having a market for drugs/guns b)people who want to misuse either will find a way to get their hands on it.

I also read that since doctors have tightened up on handing out prescriptions for legal pain killers, OD's have actually gone up because people switch the fentanyl. That doesn't mean I think doctors should go back to handing them out like PEZ candy but tightening the belt seems to have led to more of an uncontrolled market.

Admin
Link
Originally posted by tordman

Yeah, that's how whataboutism works.

Link
Yeah, that's how whataboutism works.

There is some validity to whataboutism. If everyone was talking about influenza in 2020/21, you might have wanted to remind people that we shouldn't forget about Covid (lol, not that it was ever going to be downplayed in 2020)

Admin
Link
Originally posted by Cowpoker
There is some validity to whataboutism.

There really isn't.

Admin
Link
One problem existing or even being a bigger problem doesn't mean another problem doesn't exist.

Nobody here is a big warrior trying to prevent the opioid epidemic. I can't remember the last time somebody made a thread talking about it, let alone citing facts about it. Acting like you suddenly care deeply is a pathetic attempt to distract from the discussion about guns, what you actually care about. It's insulting to victims of both discussions.

Link
One problem existing or even being a bigger problem doesn't mean another problem doesn't exist.

Nobody here is a big warrior trying to prevent the opioid epidemic. I can't remember the last time somebody made a thread talking about it, let alone citing facts about it. Acting like you suddenly care deeply is a pathetic attempt to distract from the discussion about guns, what you actually care about. It's insulting to victims of both discussions.

You are right but constantly talking about your bee sting and ignoring the large cancerous tumor growing out of your head might make people question your priorities.

That's because it's not political. There is nothing to gain by highlighting it because again, neither approach has worked and nobody disagrees with it being a major problem.

Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.