User Pass

Forum > General Discussion > Politics and Religion > Happiness is only a dirt pile away

Page:

Coyote
Link
Originally posted by Cowpoker
Brahma

Another good cross breed, yes. We had a Brahma bull back in the day. Big ol' brute. Also a damn pet. Would follow me around like a puppy just to get his head scratched.

Originally posted by Hammer31
Dam sorry to hear that...is there a point where you cant use the meat? Its a total loss if it dies on its own?

You would literally have to be there when the animal died, get it to the packing (or do it yourself) right then, otherwise... yeah... not good/wise to use (for meat). The hides... that's a different story but many farmers don't deal with that aspect of the cattle business. Generally it's something the packing industry teams up with the tanning industry to do... usually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeptFM6xpE
Originally posted by DigitalDaggers
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Originally posted by Hammer31
Dam sorry to hear that...is there a point where you cant use the meat? Its a total loss if it dies on its own?

It's a total loss if it dies on it's own, it's a matter of minutes.

A certain death loss % is normal at every stage in life, ranging from heart issues, swallowed hardware (piece of metal or debris that get's stuck in the wrong spot) , we average losing a few each year to lightning as well. Cattle are hyper sensitive to electricity.

Link
Yeah Wizz, Brama are good in the heat, they don't gain a pound in the winter here though. Literally, they do nothing in the winter.

Coyote
Link
Yeah Wizz, Brama are good in the heat, they don't gain a pound in the winter here though. Literally, they do nothing in the winter.

I was trying to remember why dad went with a Brahma because it wasn't heat related back then. I can remember him saying something about how Brahma cross breeds did better at the market so... probably that. Dad was always lookin to make an extra nickle.
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
I was trying to remember why dad went with a Brahma because it wasn't heat related back then. I can remember him saying something about how Brahma cross breeds did better at the market so... probably that. Dad was always lookin to make an extra nickle.

Growth and heat tolerance, they are a terminal sire like Simmental or Charolais.

Link
They are however disqualified from most of the quality premium programs as neck hump is measured in those programs to specifically identify Brahma influenced cattle. Those programs likely didn't exist when your Dad used them.

Coyote
Link
They are however disqualified from most of the quality premium programs as neck hump is measured in those programs to specifically identify Brahma influenced cattle. Those programs likely didn't exist when your Dad used them.

Truth. Also, he was looking into Simmental and Charolais as well... especially once we got into Artificial insemination. I still have several straws left over from those days (empty ones... never used). I think dad was thinking hard of how to get in on that because that was really at the big beginning of that era. It's a huge business now and much different than it was. Thar's gold in them thar bull balls!
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Originally posted by Theo Wizzago
Truth. Also, he was looking into Simmental and Charolais as well... especially once we got into Artificial insemination. I still have several straws left over from those days (empty ones... never used). I think dad was thinking hard of how to get in on that because that was really at the big beginning of that era. It's a huge business now and much different than it was. Thar's gold in them thar bull balls!

Assuming they are 1/2 cc straws, surprised they aren't glass viles if it was that long ago.

Coyote
Link
Assuming they are 1/2 cc straws, surprised they aren't glass viles if it was that long ago.

Plastic. Hmmm... from memory... about 2 to 3 feet long? I know I have one around here somewhere. realize I was but a kid then so how they were used, I couldn't tell you. And I think.. maybe... liquid nitrogen or dry ice? I remember it created fog and that both can do that. My guess is the 'straws' were filled with bull juice then frozen until needed/used. Again... we're talking pretty far back in the ol' brainpan. Late 70's? Early 80's tops... but unlikely. Dad was pretty much out of the business when I got back from the military.
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Sounds like what the individual straws are in. There is a tube at the top and bottom of an aluminum frame and the individual straws are in those plastic tubes. Usually 10 on top and 10 on the bottom. The semen straws are almost exactly the same size as a cheap bar straw.

Coyote
Link
Sounds like what the individual straws are in. There is a tube at the top and bottom of an aluminum frame and the individual straws are in those plastic tubes. Usually 10 on top and 10 on the bottom. The semen straws are almost exactly the same size as a cheap bar straw.

Ah. Ok. Thanks for the clear up. Means I have a straw 'wrapper'. Not an actual 'straw'.
wipety-wipe-wipe

Link
Why were you keeping what you thought was a straw of semen?

It is funny to cut the little rubber plunger off and slip them in people's drinks

Coyote
Link
Why were you keeping what you thought was a straw of semen?

It is funny to cut the little rubber plunger off and slip them in people's drinks

Oh, we knew they were empty (never used) straws (or, in this case, straw wrappers). There's no rubber plunger on them. Perhaps added when it's time for use? Again... I was a pretty young kid and so what I remember was from watching dad more than anything. Why we kept them? Not 100% sure. I'd like to think, crazy or not, that we kept them as a memory of a better time in the family. Dad suffered quite the mid-life crisis and, in the end, the marriage fell apart around that time. It wasn't a bitter filled thing... but it was a sad thing. He got over it later and eventually got back to being the dad I always knew and loved. And I know mom never did stop loving him... we just didn't know how to fix his troubles. Much later him and mom were back to being best of friends so I'd like to think they'll be together in the next life. Dad never remarried. Mom had no plans on it but then, life moves on even if it's not in the direction you think it will.
wipety-wipe-wipe

Page:

You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.